For our next webcast we want to talk about the three articles that the major Christian magazines. in America (Christianity Today and Charisma) have published about people who no longer fit into our Sunday (or Saturday) morning congregations. Each of these articles speak negatively of those who have left and advance the notion that it is the duty of every Christian to belong to one of the institutions that call themselves church to be part of the body of Christ. One even points that out while admitting that the structures itself are dead. Here are the articles in case you missed them:
- The Church Why Bother? by Tim Stafford
- When Christians Quit Church by Andy Butcher
- Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons an interview with Eugene Peterson
Wouldn't it be helpful to discuss the pros and cons of these articles? That's exactly what Brad and I plan to do in our next edition of The God Journey, to be taped on Wednesday, May 4. We hope to shed some light on the growing conflict between those who are in the institutions and those who are not and for that we would love some of you to help us out with your thoughts, questions and insights.
- Do you agree or disagree with these articles?
- Are you no longer part of an organized congregation? Why? Have you found your experience with church has increased or decreased by this choice?
- Are you part of a congregation and miss those who have left and wish they'd come back? Why?
If you would, we'd love to include many different voices, and you can record your comments or questions by calling our comment line in the U.S. at (805) 626-4212. You can also contribute by commenting on this blog by clicking on the "comment" button below.