Slinging Freedom All Over the Place
Wayne Jacobsen and Brad Cummings launched The God Journey in March of 2005 to encourage people who were thinking outside the box of religious obligation, those who wanted to follow Jesus even if they had some concerns about the efficacy of religious institutions in our day. They wanted to encourage other people on their journey by honestly sharing their own. As former pastors, authors and counselors, Wayne and Brad offer an engaging mix of wisdom, humor, and compassion for those wanting to find an authentic relationship with God. They talked freely about the failures of religion and the fallacies of secularism in our culture in an open, accessible dialogue that would be helpful, enlightening, and entertaining to believers and nonbelievers alike. They celebrate the adventure of growing in the life of Jesus in an ever-increasing secular society in a way that is intelligently accessible and practically relevant.
They talked about everything—events in their personal lives, their own struggles and questions, and their growing edges. They also comment on current events, religious trends, and Scriptures that have helped them engage God. But they wanted it to be an ever-expanding conversation with those who are thinking outside the box of religious obligation, so they have also added voices from others around the world who are on similar journeys. They also share listener emails and blog comments as they invite others into the conversation. In 2006 and 2007 listeners to the podcast had a front-row seat as Wayne and Brad helped Paul Young re-write and then publish The Shack. The enthusiasm of the audience here helped turn it a world-wide publishing phenomenon as books were shipped out of Brad’s garage.
In the fall of 2012, the podcast took a different direction as Brad became more involved in publishing and movies and Wayne anchored the podcast by bringing in a number of guests and co-hosts. Brad remained a frequent guest, but this allowed the podcast to expand the conversation to other voices. In recent years, his daughter Julie Williams and his good friend Kyle Rice helped with co-hosting duties. Jule brought the perspective of a young wife and mother and Kyle that of a Millenial, publisher, and counselor. You can find out more about our hosts here.
If you’re interested in the technical aspects of how we record, edit, and publish the podcast, please see our Technical Details page.
Most Interactions (Comments)
- Living Endearingly Free In the World posted on July 12, 2013
- A Greater Gathering posted on January 18, 2013
- She’s Alive And Well posted on September 20, 2013
- Taking A Break posted on August 17, 2012
- Why Is This So Difficult? (#594) posted on August 4, 2017
- Letting Community Happen posted on October 4, 2013
- What to Do About the Dones (#485) posted on May 8, 2015
- The God Journey #353 posted on March 16, 2012
- Repentance That Works posted on April 20, 2012
- What Judgment Lies Ahead? (#594) posted on August 11, 2017
- Letting Go posted on October 21, 2011
- Will the Real God Please Stand Up! posted on October 15, 2010